Eglise Saint-Pierre et Saint-Paul

Historic site and monument ,  Church at Lignol

  See photos (4)
  • This church was built in the 15th century, but underwent numerous alterations in the 16th, 17th and 19th centuries.

    The parish church, dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul, has the shape of a long rectangle, with two lower sides and a chapel to the north of the choir (the Rosary chapel). Most of the building is from the 16th century: the nave communicates with the aisles by large broken arches resting on cylindrical or polygonal pillars. On the western porch, in flamboyant style, a square tower was erected in 1639. At the end of the 19th century, the bell tower, demolished by a thunderstorm, required repairs. Around 1900, the entire south wall was redone and decorated with gable windows. The blazing lattice windows contained old stained glass: only a few fragments remain in the North chapel representing a tree of Jesse and the Crucifixion. The altarpiece dates from the 17th century: the niches house the statues of Saint Peter and Saint Paul. The tabernacle is furnished with several statuettes representing Saint Peter, Saint Paul and a bishop.