See photos (4)

Chapelle Saint-Eugène

Historic site and monument ,  Chapel at Locmalo

  • In this "Valley of the Three Saints" as it is nicely known, three chapels and their fountains rubbed shoulders at one time. Unfortunately, nothing remains of the Saint-Urlo chapel. The Saint-Diboen chapel, a very small building, dates from the 17th century. Right next to it, the Saint-Eugène chapel dates back to the 16th century.

    It was altered in the 17th and 18th century, partly with the stones from the Saint-Urlo chapel. Saint Eugene does not seem to be the primitive saint honored in this place. Indeed, in 1549, the chapel was dedicated to Saint Tujean, to Saint Tuchen... It was altered in the 17th and 18th century, partly with the stones from the Saint-Urlo chapel. Saint Eugene does not seem to be the primitive saint honored in this place. Indeed, in 1549, the chapel was dedicated to Saint Tujean, to Saint Tuchen in 1626 then to Saint Chuchen in 1679. Saint Eugène only appeared in 1695. In 1706, the chapel was called Saint Suchen. The first patron saint is said to be Saint Tujen, who had a reputation for curing rabies. The most remarkable part of the construction certainly resides in its bell tower. The square stump, the widely open bell chamber, the animal gargoyles, the corner pinnacles and the blind pediments are similar to the Cornish type. Nearby, the fountain has three niches which once housed the statues of Saint Eugène, Saint Diboen and Saint Urlo.
Services
  • Equipment
    • Picnic area